Breaking! Former Kaduna State governor, El-Rufai regains freedom
A Federal High Court sitting in Abuja has granted the bail application sought by former governor of Kaduna State, His Excellency, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai
Activist and Publisher of Sahara Reporters, Mr Omoyele Sowore, while confirming the development in a post on his verified social media handles jested that he inquired from the former governor how going to prison felt, in that he used to send many persons there.
“We also ran into former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, stepping out of the courtroom after he was granted bail. We asked him how going to prison feels, since he sent plenty to prison and also was part of a regime and political party that frequently sent people to prison”, Sowore said.
El-Rufai’s freedom came after he was returned to custody following his earlier ‘compassionate release” to bury his late mother, Hajiya Umma El-Rufai who died in Kairo, Egypt.
An aide had confided in our paper that the bail was approved to allow the former governor attend the funeral rites.
El-Rufai had been in ICPC custody since February 18, 2026, following his transfer from the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission [EFCC]. He faces multiple charges including alleged conversion of public property, money laundering, and receiving an inflated severance package of N579.7 million. He has denied all allegations.
His son, Bashir El-Rufai, while confirming Mallam El-Rufai’s compassionate release on X, had described the detention as “unlawful and illegal” said: “My beloved great legend of a father (@elrufai) is being released from his unlawful and illegal detention… Thank you all for all the support”.
Prior to El-Rufai’s earlier temporary release, a Kaduna State High Court had twice refused him bail, citing flight risk and concerns over interference with investigations.
The former governor is also facing separate investigations by the Department of State Services over alleged telephone interception involving national security.
El-Rufai governed Kaduna State from 2015 to 2023. The Kaduna State House of Assembly had earlier indicted him over the alleged diversion of N423 billion in public funds, a claim he denies.

